Friday, March 4, 2016

Holiday: Easter Basket

There is always an excuse to have sugar and candy in the house.  It starts with Halloween, then Thanksgiving, Christmas, Valentine's Day, Easter, school birthdays, parties, etc.  My kids will get sugar from their grandparents, from school, parties, etc.  Therefore, I really try to minimize sugar for them.  They do get one or two small treats in their baskets and stockings.  Here are some ideas to avoid sugar during the holidays.

Overall, I do lots of crafts with them.  It is a great time to discuss the event (even if it is something as simple as leap year), the meanings, history, etc.  As well as gives them time to do creative projects.  And they can be great gifts for grandparents!

I also like to get them things I need to get them anyway.  Like clothes.  I know that's cheating a little bit, but they, the girls especially, love to get new clothes.  So I'm taking advantage of that!

Here is what I am putting in our baskets this year:
Swimsuit
Spring pajamas
Socks
Kite
Bubbles
Stickers
Book

Cup

Spring outfits that I make (except for my teen son's, his is purchased!) - can be worn for Easter, Mother's Day, church, etc.


Normally, I would include flip flops too, but they just received new ones.  Maybe I will put some dress sandals if I find some before Easter.

They will each receive one or two pieces of candy as well.

Here are some other non-sugar ideas for Easter Baskets.  Of course, if you get all of them, then it can get expensive, so don't think I am suggesting that!  Our baskets will have 6-10 things in them, and half are clothing items, which they need anyway.  I spent less than $35 on the contents for each basket.


Stuffed Animal

Crayons
Coloring Book
Puzzle

Chalk

Ball

Finger Puppets
Rain Gear
Gardening Tools

Pinwheel

Army Men
Hot Wheels

Kazoo/Harmonica/Tambourine

Action Figures
Squirt Guns

Beach Towel
Pail/Shovel

Hair Clip/Headband
Toothbrush/toothpaste
Bandaids
Chapstick
Sunglasses
Slippers
Sandals/Flip Flops

I also love this idea, and here are a few more suggestions (here and here).  I hope this helps you come up with some great items to fill those baskets!

What do you put in your Easter Baskets?

No comments:

Post a Comment