Friday, February 12, 2016

Valentine's Day 2016

Valentine's Day is one of my favorite holidays.  And my husband and I don't even celebrate it!  My choice!  Isn't that silly?  I believe that we should show love every day, and that Valentine's Day is no different.  However, it is a great opportunity to take time to talk to your kids about the importance of love and the different types of love.  Each relationship is unique, and requires different things to keep them strong.  Studying love languages and recognizing what people's languages are is a great thing to introduce to kids when they are young.  Plus, the kids love making special food and crafts.

I usually start about a week before Valentine's Day, and carry through until Valentine's Day.

For my daughter's Valentine's party at school, I designed these cards for her goodie bags:
Here are the contents of the goodie bags.  I found these great paper bags at Target (bullseye playground section).  The bubbles, pencils, pad of paper, and an eraser came from Target's Valentine's section.  We included a card from their karate studio, and a fruit roll up.  I personally like to minimize the giving of candy for the holiday goodie bags.  Maybe these trinkets aren't any better!


My husband rarely buys me flowers.  Again, my request.  They just die!  I would rather he spend the money on a date night (one of my love languages - quality time), or on something the whole family can enjoy together.  However, a couple of times per year, usually February, later in the Spring, and in October, I will purchase some inexpensive flowers at the farmer's market.  Tulips and peonies are my very favorite, so when I saw these pink tulips, I knew they would be coming home with me!  Vase from the Target bulls eye playground.


Last weekend, I made pink ombre heart shapes pancakes.  Get some pomegranate juice, beet juice, make your own with raspberries/strawberries/cherries in the blender.  Add one drop to your pancake batter, make a few pancakes, add a few more drops, make a few more pancakes.  Continue adding juice until you are out of pancake mix.

I already had various sized heart shaped cookie cutters.  I cut the largest out from the lighter and the darkest one is the smallest size.  Then I stacked them up and served them.  The kids ooo'd and ahhh'd and gobbled them up!



This weekend, the girls are having a slumber party.  We are making this craft, drinking this, making a gluten free version of these, and cracking up when we complete these!  Happy Valentine's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment