Sunday, January 10, 2016

Sunday Spread: Lunch

Have you read why I eat what I eat for breakfast?  If not, check it out here, and then come back to join me for lunch!  As a reminder, I am not a professional dietitian/nutritionist/health care provider.  Just a crazy googler who wants to eat as healthy and whole as possible on a regular basis.

Lunch is usually the same thing, every day, both during the week and on the weekends.  *yawn* I know.  But I do this for a few reasons:

1.  It's easy and I'm lazy super busy.
2.  I don't have to think about my calorie intake or serving size, because I've eaten like this a billion times, so I know it's the right amount of food.
3.  If I do splurge, it's really easy to get back on track.

Spinach, mushrooms, cucumber, avocado, chicken.  Veggies and protein.  Done.

Good veggie options:  spring mix, arugula, romaine, kale, red leaf lettuce, iceberg lettuce, carrots, pickled beets, tomatoes, onion, asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower, artichoke hearts, peppers, peas, celery, radish, olives.


Bad veggie options:  corn.

Good protein options:  eggs (hard boiled with a salad is great!), ham (not deli meat), chicken, turkey, steak, ground beef (taco salad without the shell), salmon, quinoa, seeds, beans.

Bad protein options:  candied nuts, bacon (I know, boo), sausage.


Good salad add ons:  seeds, nuts, cheese, cottage cheese, apple, pear, water chestnuts.

Bad salad add ons:  croutons, candied nuts, dried fruit, bacon.

With all of the good stuff on my salad, I don't really need any dressing.  Sometimes I will make mayo, hummus, or salsa, and I will dip my salad bites in that beforehand.  I also use oil and vinegar.  I'm not truly against any salad dressing, but many times there is just a heavy hand used, which blows your calories out of the water.  If you are going to use a dressing, make sure you measure the serving size and note the calories.  Drenching your salad in dressing is NOT a healthy alternative to my eating plan.

I would like to note that with ^these good lists, you can make a HUGE, very filling and satisfying salad.

Dinner meals are next, then snacks, drinks, and splurges.  Keep checking back!

No comments:

Post a Comment