Thursday, December 10, 2015

One Little Word: 2016

Have you heard of the One Little Word concept?  Ali Edwards is where I first heard of this.  I started doing this during the middle of 2015.  My word was "Present".  I wanted to be more present in my life.  I didn't truly immerse myself into my word the way I plan to in 2016, and yet it still made a huge impact on my daily life.  I am so excited to see how my life will change in 2016 when I am actually focusing on my word on a regular basis!


When I present this idea to my friends, the first thing I often hear is, "I don't even know where to start."  Considering the amount of words we have available to us, this does not come as a surprise.  We want our word to make a difference.  We want it to mean something.  It's overwhelming to narrow it down to just one word.  I felt the same way when I started thinking about my word.

Here are some tips on how to arrive at your word, as well as some information of how I came to my word.

1.  There is no right or wrong way to choose a word.  When you hear "your" word, you will know in your heart.

2.  Think about what you want to intentionally focus on in 2016.  Work?  Home?  Health?  Marriage?  Kids?  Of course, after you choose your word, it can, and often times will, spill over into every area of your life.

3.  Be selfish.  This word is for you, and you only.  You don't have to share it with your kids, your spouse, your dog.  This is just for you (or at least, it can be).

4.  Do you struggle with something in life?  What is the exact opposite of that struggle?  Is that something you want to work on next year?

5.  What inspires you?  What gives your tummy butterflies?  Do you need a word that will challenge you?



The word I have chosen for 2016 is "Calm".

When I began to think about my word, I thought about my struggles. I am an anxious person.  For various reasons, my anxiety has gotten worse over the past few years.  I see it affect the people in my life who I love so dearly.  I can do, and have done, things to work on this anxiety, and I do see it improving.  I want to continue this in 2016.  Some words that came to me when I thought about the opposite of anxiety were:  peace, tranquility, composed, happy, content.  And calm.  When I thought of the word calm, it really struck a chord for me.  I knew that would be my word.

Later, I will talk about how I am going to incorporate this word into my life.  One thing that my girlfriend and I have done (her genius idea), was create a Facebook group.  In this group, we will have prompts to encourage you to focus on your word.  We will support, brainstorm, and celebrate together.

If you'd like to join, click on the link, and we would love to have you!  Meet some new people, have a new experience. And choose your word.

What is your word in 2016? What will you meditate on? How will move forward with purpose? What word will you choose to live in 2016?

No comments:

Post a Comment