Monday, November 9, 2015

Monday Musings: Life Well Lived

What does a life well lived mean for you?  I read this question on a blog recently, and it caused me to pause.  Having dealt with depression and anxiety, sometimes it can feel like nothing is being well lived.

Recently, life has been truly wonderful.  My husband's work schedule has been very, very good, which is a rarity.  It has allowed us to spend a lot of time together (my love language).  We have done a lot of work on the house, enjoyed home cooked meals, and I have felt less stressed.

His schedule is changing next week.  This is common in his line of work, and we have just been really lucky that his schedule was constant for a few months (his schedule can potentially change each week!).  I am anxious about the change that is coming, and it puts me on edge about other simple changes.  In addition, holiday time makes me anxious.  The anxiety can make it difficult for me to see the positive.

I am trying to focus on all of the positive things that I have been enjoying, as well as the pros to his new schedule.  I will have more time to watch "my" shows, more one on one time with all three kids, and more time to myself.

A life well lived can evolve.  In high school, you may have had dreams of what your life would be like as a "grown up".  Based on people in your path and your life experience, these dreams may change.  What you imagined before may need to be adjusted.  This is not to say that you should ever stop reaching for goals.  But to not find happiness and contentment in your current life is tragic.

My life well lived was once to marry, have three children (boy, girl, boy, all three years apart, obvi), career satisfaction (or maybe a SAHM), a house, a dog, a cat, and live happily ever after.  What I have is a divorce, remarriage, 12 year old boy, 5 year old girl, 3 year old girl, and an unsettled feeling about my career choice.  I do have the house, dog, and cat.  I also have an incredible husband (even though he takes Ibuprofen), three beautiful, smart, and healthy children, and I am blessed to have a stable job.  Honestly, that's enough for me.  Right there, my life is well lived.

For the rest of this year, I want to enjoy Fall and Winter, my two favorite seasons.  I know Thanksgiving hasn't happened yet, but the kids and I decorated for Christmas this weekend.  Even if my husband's work schedule interferes with the holiday dates on the calendar, we are going to make our own holidays (and be thankful my littles can't read a calendar this year!).

I am taking this phase as it is now, and when the next phase presents itself, I will adjust accordingly (maybe after some grouchiness), and have a life well lived in a different way.

How do you adjust to life's changes?  What is your definition of a life well lived?  I want to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment