Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Whip Into Shape Wednesdays: Organized Workout

Did you enjoy your Labor Day weekend?  I had a wonderful weekend - our family spent time together, we got some sunshine, and my husband and I had a little date.

Just like menu planning, working out is very personal based on your needs, desires, and your schedule.  What I do won't work for everyone, but you can use my thought process to come up with something that will work for you.

I have a girlfriend who is into body building.  She watches her macros (I don't even know what that means...*takes notes to Google later*), and she is really bulking up her arms and legs.  She looks amazing!  More importantly, she is happy and healthy.  But her lifestyle doesn't work for me.  That doesn't make one of our journeys more or less healthy than the other, it just makes them different.

My fitness journey is equally related to mental health, food nutrition.  If am not emotionally healthy, I am less motivated to work out.  If I am not feeding my body good fuel, I don't have the energy to work out.


The first step in organizing your work out is figuring out a time of day that works for you.  Should you exercise first thing in the morning?  Or would you be more successful going straight to the gym after work?  I either set my alarm for 5 a.m., or do it right after the younger kids are in bed.

The second step is looking at your weekly schedule.  Is Monday a really busy day?  Let's just do 30 min that day.  Wednesday is free?  Let's do an hour that day.  Write down your weekly schedule and add your work out plan to the schedule.  If you write it down like an appointment, you will be more likely to keep that commitment.  You don't have to make time to exercise every day.  20-30 minutes 2-3 times a week for cardio and 20-30 minutes 2-3 times per week of weight training is a solid plan.  However, if you think you will flake on yourself, write in exercise options for every day, and then if you skip one or two, you can see where it will still fit into the remainder of your week.

The third step is to decide what it is you want to accomplish.  Do you just want to do cardio?  Do you want to do weights?  I don't go to the gym, so I do yoga and body weight training (which also doubles as my cardio).  Do you have a pool?  Swim!  Run around the block!  Follow a video on YouTube!  There are many options when it comes to getting a good work out.

Here is what my sessions look like right now:

Sunday morning:  Yoga
Sunday evening:  Whole body circuit

Monday evening:  Yoga

Tuesday morning:  Arm circuit

Wednesday evening:  Leg circuit

Thursday morning:  Yoga

Friday morning:  Chest and ab circuit

Saturday morning:  Yoga
Saturday evening:  Shoulder and back circuit

Sometimes I do skip the yoga, but it's my favorite, so I put it on days when I know I won't feel like working out (because I will be sore), so that I am more motivated to follow through.

I hope this helps you put together a system that works for you!  Don't forget to warm up and cool down!  You don't want to pull a muscle.

No comments:

Post a Comment