Friday, August 28, 2015

Fashion Fridays: Making Your Wardrobe Last

I am almost finished with the master closet updates I have been working on.  I can't wait to show you everything I have done in there!

One of my favorite tricks to making my wardrobe last longer is repairs.  Even if you haven't invested in a high end item, if you love it and wear the heck out of it, it is worth it to get it repaired.

The first thing you will need to do is find a good shoe repair shop.  There is one in the city where I work, and they are THE best.  They always do what I ask, they are reasonably priced, and they have a great turnaround time.

I have two pairs of knee high black boots.  I have had them for...over TEN YEARS.  I love their heel height, their style, and their comfort.  I do not want to spend time looking for another pair that meets those requirements.  I do not want to spend money on something I may not love as much.  I have a pair of black wedges that are perfect for daily work wear in the summer, and they are very comfortable.  I almost got rid of them at one point because the buckle broke, but could not find a replacement pair, so I had them repaired instead.

Of these footwear, none are designer brands.  I'm certain both pairs of boots were less than $150 each, and the wedges were definitely less than $60.  Yet, they are essential staples in my closet.

Each year, I inspect these shoes and decide if I need to have any repairs done.  Some years require more repairs than others.  One year I had to resole both pairs of boots.  That cost about $120 total.  Sure, that's a good chunk of money, but I knew I wouldn't find two new pairs of boots that I loved just as much for less than $60 each.  Some years they only need heel repair ($40 total for both pairs), and some years they don't need any work.  Overall, by investing in the repairs of the boots, I have saved myself money by not purchasing new boots each year, or even every other year.  And, I can rest easy, knowing I have a reliable pair of boots in my closet for the winter months.

The next person you need to become best friends with is a tailor.  If you can't find one (on Google), ask your dry cleaner.  Many of them will do simple alterations, and can also refer you to someone if they are unable to do the work.

A tailor will be able to make your clothes custom fit for your body!  I had three pairs of jeans that were super comfortable.  They are just Gap or Old Navy, nothing fancy or expensive, but good quality, and they will last for years.  Over the years, I have gained and lost weight, had babies, and my body shape has changed.  Also, I have large hips, and I need a bigger waist size to get pants over my booty.  I often have a gap between the waist of the jean and my lower back.  My tailor altered the jeans so they now fit PERFECTLY.  They fit in all the right places, and it only cost me $25 for all three jeans to be fixed.  You can modify shirts, skirts, work pants, even dresses.

Since I am able to make my wardrobe last a long time, I like to invest in quality pieces for my main staple pieces.  Then I can pick up fun, trendy items for less

Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment