Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Summer Set Up

My daughter's birthday is in June.  We always have leftover paper products after her party.  This is perfect for summer.  I grab the disposable plates, napkins, utensils, and throw them in a basket.  I keep the basket on the counter, and then I can easily take it outside for dinners on the patio.  This makes cleaning up dinner very simple.  Everything might not match, but that's okay!  If I'm having a get together with friends or family, I can always pick up some cute matching disposables beforehand.

If you don't have a basket, get creative with what you do have.  Do you have a diaper caddy?  If you're handy with a sewing machine, you could make something like this.  Finding containers I already have to reuse is one of my favorite things.

After enjoying dinner outside, why not play a game of badmitten?  Blow bubbles, hopscotch, jump rope?  The girls love doing yoga with me on the lawn in the evenings.  Have the kids look for weeds to pull in the garden (younger children should check with you before they start pulling things out of the ground!), pick up the backyard, sweep, etc.  All of these things are time spent as family, and everyone is pitching in.  It can feel fun, instead of like a chore!  If the kids are happily playing, you can have a moment to clean up a bit, or sit down and take a moment for yourself to breath and enjoy your surroundings.  If one (or more) of your children is clinging or not wanting to help, sit with them and watch their siblings having fun.  It's okay.  The messy backyard will wait.

I know this is easier said than done.  Heck, just yesterday I didn't follow this advice.  It's not always going to be perfect.  You're not always going to respond perfectly to the tantrums.  Allow yourself the grace to mess up.  Then take a deep breath, forgive yourself, and start over.

If you're looking at the Master Calendar, you know that I planted celery this month.  It is REALLY hot here, so my celery isn't very happy.  We will see what happens to it!  I am obssessed with cherries and peaches right now, which is perfect since they are in season.  My kids are loving watermelon, and I also am enjoying zucchini "spaghetti".

The Master Calendar is filled with outdoor things, like cleaning screens, and decluttering pool toys and grilling supplies.  I do try to make June "light" on the To Dos, as our social calendar has usually exploded with parties and extra summer activities.  If you need to pass on a few days and wait for a free Saturday or Sunday to check off some items, go for it!

Since the birthday party planning is now complete, I am trying to decide what to do for Father's Day.  I love doing photos, but since Father's Day is this weekend, we will see if I have time for that.  I'm definitely thinking a big breakfast in bed for him, and a massage.  I cannot wait to spoil him.  What are your plans for Father's Day?

No comments:

Post a Comment