Thursday, February 20, 2014

How To: Game Closet Organization

Last weekend during nap time, I decided to organize our game closet.  If you follow me on Instagram (which I think you should!), you already knew this, and you're here for the dirty details.  I found the idea for this on Pinterest (you should also follow me on there).  Here is the original link for the instructions I followed.  I modified them for what worked for our storage space.  I found this bin at Walmart.  I was there already shopping when I spotted this.  I had not previously measured the space, so I assumed it would fit.  It did not fit with the wheels, but (WHEW), it did fit without the wheels.  Make sure you take measurements of your storage space, and then keep them in your purse/wallet in case you happen to be out and about and spot a great storage item.



The first thing I did was remove all of the games from the closet and place them on my bed.

BEFORE shot:







The closet is now empty!  A blank slate.


Then I started with one game, made sure I had all pieces and instructions.  If not, and the game was not "play-able" due to missing pieces, the entire thing when into the trash!  I did not have any games that my kids have outgrown yet, but if you find games you don't play, donate them.  Make a trash pile and a donate pile.

If I had all the parts, I folded the board, used my label maker to title the game it belongs to on the back of the board, and placed it in the bottom drawer of my new storage container.

Then I took all of the game pieces and instructions, and put them in a plastic bag.  I labeled the bag with a permanent marker with the name of the game, and placed the bag in the top drawer.






There were some game boards that were too large, and some games that had nice containers.  I decided to keep those separate on the shelf in the closet.

Once I had everything labeled, I threw out recycled the old game boxes.  If you have anything for donations, keep them in a designated space in the garage for donation items.  The Master Calendar will let you know when it is time for a drop off.  Of course, if your pile gets too big, you can donate whenever you need to!

Finally, I placed the new game central back in the closet.  Now I have room for my spare sheets!





This mess is history!



BEFORE:




AFTER:





Have you organized your games?  What method did you use?  I would love to see your photos.  Tag me on Instagram (@googlinggoddess) of your organized games!

Happy Organizing!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment