Friday, January 10, 2014

Back In The Saddle

I haven't blogged in eight weeks. I have an excuse! For the last four weeks, anyway. My daughter had a little head bonk that took over our lives. She is okay, thank goodness. But that was a very scary time, and we are still watching her carefully to make sure she does not re-injure her head. As the song goes, "No more monkeys jumping on the bed!" Between that, and the holidays (which were changed up due to the injury), my time and motivation to write has been non-existent. Here we are, though, back in the saddle.

Of course, I have still been Googling up a storm! Here are some recent searches:

"top 25 free Christmas apps"
"gluten free french toast casserole"
"jeff probst net worth"
"Jack London Square"
"Fenton's" (this is a fabulous creamery in Oakland, CA if you are ever in the area)
"teach your kids to have work ethic"
"The Classy Cubicle" (incredible blog with fashionable, professional outfits)
"bread machine reviews"
"Sam Mills gluten free macaroni and cheese" (sooooooooo yummy)
"Black Halo" (I got a stunning dress for a wedding we will be attending in March)
"lexile schedule" (finding appropriate reading level books for my son was more difficult than I thought it would be)
"Nymbler" (best baby naming website EVER)

What have you been researching?

If you are following along on your 2014 Master Calendar, you won't be surprised to hear that I planted carrots, celery, and potatoes in my garden last week. I just purchased a spare set of bed linens, and I am pricing a few small appliances. I already purchased the bread maker, and I have my heart set on an espresso machine. I think I have settled on this one. This Christmas money isn't going to spend itself!

I am still focusing on my Daily Zones. The holiday decor has already been decluttered and put away until next year. That always feels so cleansing. Now onto the new year!

I have been working each night on my computer to organize my digital photos. I started by going to the folder where I keep my photos. I right click in the folder, select "Sort By", then choose "Date". I then create a new folder for each month (i.e., January 2013, February 2013, etc.), and move the photos accordingly. In order to see the date the photo was taken, go to your "Details" view. Then you can click on the "Date Photo Taken" bar and it will sort by date!



What to do now that this is complete? You can order prints and scrapbook them. Have you seen the great packages from Project Life? I plan to end up on the show Hoarders one day thanks to that system. Currently, I create photo books for each year. I go through the Blurb website. They can also pull your photos from Facebook and Instagram. For your favorite photos, have canvas wraps made, get prints done on metal or wood. There are so many creative ways to display photos in your home. Keep them updated!

Finally, let's start setting up a Family Binder. Things you will need:

1. Regular sized binder (holding 8.5"x11" paper). Target has some really cute binders, and they are fairly inexpensive. This one doesn't have pockets on the inside of the binder. But I do have pocket inserts, so this was okay with me. If you need the pockets, make sure the one you pick up has them.




2. Dividers. You can make these from file folders (Target also has cute file folders!), cardstock, or traditional dividers. I have traditional dividers right now. They aren't the most beautiful, but they work. I can make it pretty later. Right now, I need the organization more than the beauty.

3. Something for labeling the dividers. Sharpie pen, label maker, etc.

Here are the current sections I have in my binder:

Calendar
Food
Medical Info
Contact Info
Household
Projects
Finances
Blog
Holiday
Miscellaneous

You may need different sections. Other ideas might include: fitness, business, hobbies, etc.

In the calendar section, of course I keep my 2014 Master Calendar. I also keep a Dates to Remember page, where I list all family/friend birthdays/anniversaries, a monthly calendar to reference when I don't have my regular planner in front of me, a Notes page, and a To Do page. You can purchase the entire Calendar section from my Etsy shop. These are instant downloads, available for your immediate use! No waiting to get organized!

If you really want to be on top of things, fill out your Dates To Remember page, take it to the card store, and pick cards for each event. Then go home, fill out the card, address and stamp the envelope, and then paperclip it to the month it needs to be mailed. When that month starts, you have your card all ready to go!

Additionally, for all you Planner Addicts, I have a 2014 monthly/weekly calendar for your A5 planners. Enjoy!



I will continue to go through the rest of the Family Binder, and by the end of the year, we will have a completely organized binder.

Happy New Year, friends, Happy Googling, and Happy Organizing!

No comments:

Post a Comment