Thursday, September 19, 2013

Purpose

Did everyone receive the October 2013 Master Calendar? I have been having some e-mail issues. I was hacked! The issue has been resolved for now. Please comment on this post if you did not receive your free printable, and I will make sure you receive it.

And I think you should receive something for the inconvenience. Right?!? So I will be providing a November 2013 Master Calendar printable to everyone. AND I think a fun Notes printable! Keep your eyes peeled for the release of those in the next couple of weeks.

Googles for today...

"when was the constitution formed" (my son Googled that because they had Constitution Day at school)
"rupert survivor" (Survivor starts tonight!)
"grow food not lawns" (showing my husband the philosophy that our neighbors have adopted)
"itti kids" (suuuuuuuuuuper cute pajamas...WANT!)
"match.com for couples" (this needs to be invented for couples who want to meet other couples in their area with like interests, don't you think?)

What did you research today?

Let's talk about WHY we organize. I like things in order, specifically, at a 90 degree angle whenever possible. I actually enjoy organizing and creating systems that make life more efficient. For me, organization is a good thing because it makes me feel good.

Organization is human nature. We organize people; men, women, adults, babies, teenagers, friends, family. We organize parts of our day; home, work, school, sleep, meals. We organize things; colors, shapes, sizes, textures. We are creatures of habit and organization assists in forming those habits.

^Skittles. Organized.

There is even organized chaos. Do you know those people who have a really messy office or bedroom, but yet they know the exact location of the item you have requested? Their brains have mapped out their space even in what one might view as chaos.

The purpose of organization at my house, other than enjoyment for myself, is for efficiency and support for my family.

My son is beginning his tween years and has hormones going crazy in his body. He is starting to care about his hair and his clothes. He is learning how to deal with friends when they aren't being good friends. He is learning how to be a good friend himself. He is receiving an enormous amount of knowledge every day in class, as well as exerting himself physically during his after school activities. He needs to be focusing on his education and developing character. Having some order/rules/chores/organization provides support for him. He knows he will find his coat on the hook in the laundry room. He knows he will find his cereal bowl in a certain cupboard. When he prepares his lunch the night before a school day, he goes to bed with a sense of calm (along with his other bedtime routines), and awakens with a sense of accomplishment. He has the proper amount of time to get ready for his day and leaves the house peacefully, instead of scrambling around and possibly forgetting something important.

My husband and I both work outside of the home. When we get home from work, we have three children to feed and bathe. Except for the ten year old. He sort of bathes on his own. Except for behind the ears. Why always behind the ears?!? Anyway, if we get home and the house is a disaster, we do not feel calm. I find it difficult to enjoy my children when I am constantly thinking about what needs to be cleaned up. Keeping an organized house allows me to sit down and focus on my kids. Except when they are being whiny. In which case, I have three kids to give away for free. Any takers? ANYBODY?!?

I also enjoy spending time with that guy I married. If I spend all of my energy searching for lost items or trying to figure out where an item would go if it did not have a designated spot, then I have no energy left at the end of the day to sit on the couch next to him and stare at our respective phone screens all evening. I'm kidding! We watch DVR and drink heavily...WATER! Right now we love to watch Cutthroat Kitchen.

These are the reasons I find organization to be useful and essential in my life. I am also a helper by nature. Do you struggle with organization? I would love to help you. Start a conversation with me on Etsy, and let's see what we can do for you.

2 comments:

  1. I am not sure I got my October calendar. If I did, I can't find it. Please resend.

    punkinmmb(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never got the October calendar. clynngraham(at)gmail(dot)com. THanks!

    ReplyDelete